We have found ourselves at a cross-roads, preparing to re-enter our little island of origin. We find ourselves desperate to capture these many lessons learnt on the road, keen to foster them for our future selves, but also for others to read, and perhaps take a sprinkle of truth, humour or motivation from.
From our journey so far, we have decided to set our compass to:
- Be open to opportunity – Let strangers become friends. Be less British – accept that gift and be direct. Have fun!
- Surprise yourself and those around you – Go bravely. Be yourself but don’t define yourself
- Use and allow time to become more human and humane – Both internally and outwardly. Time is a gift and you have all the time you need.
- Be kind – To yourself and others. Practise forgiveness. Our culture promotes shame and scarcity, learn to be an opposing factor. You’re always communicating something so choose to make it positive
- Be in tune with your environment, both social and natural – Eat from the earth. Be grateful for what you have. Enjoy the simple things. Spend time outside, listen to the seasons and only take what you need.
- Trust – Your needs will be provided for, both in human connection and earthly provision
- Walk the tightrope– You can be yourself and be part of society. Know your own values. Check and balance the compromises you are making. Choose which media you consume.
- Share yourself generously– We can all contribute to the human tapestry. Being the best you, you can be, gives permission to the person next to you be their best them.
- Find your ‘work’– The work that makes your heart sing, not the time you exchange for monetary value.
- Seek out the people and ideas that make you the best you– You’re the average of the 5 people you spend most time with- choose good ones. Read books, listen to podcasts and watch Ted talks . Like this Ted Talk here.
- Be interested in and grateful for those around you, who are all on their own unique paths – Listen well and learn from others what you can. We are so grateful to those who have inspired us.
- Continue to learn the lessons on the unique road of your life.
If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not Much